my impressions, opinions and fruition experience about movies and tv shows. I won't write spoilers, please leave comments!

9 Dec 2007

Million Dollar Baby (2004)

Director: Clint Eastwood

It's a really popular film and I didn't want to watch it. then it was for me easy to have it and I left it there for about two months. Yesterday I decided to watch it.

What was stopping me? First: I don't like Clint Eastwood. Second: I don't like Hilary Swank. DETAILS. what made me change my mind? a couple of really good films I watched previously and that gave me a renewed trust towards the latest years' films :D

To be concise, it's a story about a girl who wants to become a boxer.
at least we think this is the main character from the title and from the narration.

so this is my first point. we have a narrator of the story that is also a supporting character. while I was watching it, I considered this narrator like a literary one, so just helping the viewer to "read" the situation when that couldn't be clear just from the story.
then at the end (don't worry i'm not going to spoil anything) we find out that there was an aim to this narration and also that the main character of this narration wasn't exactly the one the film was focusing on.

the story developes chronologically. the viewer is led through it and we can say that it's a nice topic told in an interesting way and not so understood. its naivety is its own strength. it has some important issues but told simply.
there are a pair of imperfect details: first when we get to know the story of her life. it's been put there more for the story itself than with a coherence to the development of the conversation.
second: the track of time. we don't have it so much, just as a recap to validate the trainer than to make us understand how long did it take to her from the beginning to the end of the film.

the actors are what I expected. Clint Eastwood used to have two expressions: one with the hat and one without the hat. well here he wears no hat :D

the wicked are of course German and communist just to sum up 2 WW films and after 2 WW.

at the end I can say it's a pleasent film to watch, it kept my attention till the end and it was above my expectations.


No comments: