my impressions, opinions and fruition experience about movies and tv shows. I won't write spoilers, please leave comments!

9 Jan 2008

Enchanted (2007)

Director: Kevin Lima

I went to Sofia to visit a friend, Maria and celebrate New Year's Eve. we decided to go to the cinema (as there everything is in the original version with subtitles) and we just chose a film that could be entertaining. well.... we had a lot of fun and the film was above our expectations!

The story is about a princess, who's marrying the Prince Charming but... she's sent by the Wicked Queen to the real world, where "the Happily Ever After doesn't exist".

is it true? is she going to marry the Prince Charming? will she find a "real" Prince Charming?

this is a Disney film. it's really clear at the beginning and I found myself back to when I was a child. really nice! so we can say it's self-referential, it's like a recap of all the classic Disney movies but.... self-ironically!!!! that's where you start laughing!

since the beginning it's clear that the classic fairy tale model is no longer suitable, because it collides with the real world. but is the real world so lacking of romance?

we have the charicatures of the King, in love with the Queen, submitted to her orders. The Prince Charming is personally one of the best characters.
Patrick Dempsey, Grey's Anatomy Mc Dreamy, plays the role as we expect it.

what about the Princess? the story is focused on her and her way to love awareness: when can you really be sure that you found your Prince Charming?
is it a matter of the world you live in? should you always give a look outside to test if there's something more? how can you know when to stop looking?
besides, there is a new balance: we had the classic fairy tale with the Prince saving the Princess; then we had the inversion of the roles, the Princess saving the Prince; here we have the perfect balance as both save each other as a team work; love makes you stronger.

as you can see, you can watch the movie naively, but also with a deeper point of view.

I do think that the creators of this film, before writing the story, questionned themeselves about what the contemporary fairy-tale is, and I can say successfully!

1 comment:

komar4e said...

great review :) i have to say I am not a fan or romantic comedies, but this one was very funny really enjoyed it. I had tears in my eyes from laughter :D

kisses bella
Maria